When a child has no patience to wait and wants things NOW, you can show them the above drawing to explain the red and green of waiting patiently vs. I want it NOW!!!
Most importantly, once the skill has been taught, you can make the green behavior become a habit by constantly reinforcing (via praise and rewards) when the child waits patiently.
- I like how you are waiting patiently.
- I know it was hard to wait until I finished the call, but you didn’t interrupt me the entire time. I really appreciate it.
- You saw that I was busy and you waited quietly. Thank you.
- Thanks for waiting so nicely.
- You’ve gotten so much better at waiting patiently. Good for you!
Have a sunny week and an enjoyable holiday break!