Miriam, a junior-high student, helped me figure out all the steps that would need to be taken to organize her desk. Here is what we came up with…
What school materials are lurking inside your desk? Is it a variety of books, a loose leaf binder, folders, pencils, a half-eaten bag of potato chips, stale popcorn, and a sticky taffy? How about a pen, eraser, scissors, pencil case, and a plastic mondo bottle with just a drop of the blue sweet liquid still inside?
Here are some steps and guidelines to make the organization easier:
- Remove all snacks.
- Put all the old, opened bags in the garbage can. Put the fresh snacks into a special pocket in your knapsack.
- Put all the school supplies (pens, pencils, erasers, scissors, and sharpener) in the pencil case holder.
- Remove all books.
- Clean out any dirt and crumbs.
- Pile the short books on top and tall books on the bottom.
- Put folders and loose leaf on one side of the desk and all other books on the other side of the desk.
- Push each pile against the side and back walls of the desk.